Egbertville is the name of a neighborhood located immediately inland from, but classifiable within, the East Shore of the borough of Staten Island, New York City. Named after a family that owned a farm there in the 18th century, Egbertville was known for a time as Morgan’s Corner from 1838; soon after this, many Irish families arrived in the area, leading to its being referred to (somewhat jokingly) by such names as Tipperary Corners, New Dublin, and Young Ireland.
Albertville is at the center of the Staten Island Greenbelt, with the park system’s administrative offices being located there. Richmond Creek flows through a ravine, named the Egbertville Ravine after the neighborhood, as it skims the eastern base of Lighthouse Hill. The community’s main thoroughfare is Rockland Avenue, which provides a shortcut between New Dorp on the East Shore and the busy New Springville section of Mid-Island.
The land encompassing Egbertville and neighboring Lighthouse Hill was first settled in the late 1600s by immigrant Dutch, French, and English farmers. A hamlet developed at Stony Brook — now Egbertville — and became the county seat when Richmond County was established in 1683. According to the city Landmarks Preservation Commission, several farms were established, but most of the land remained undeveloped. Around 1700, several Native American trails in the area were flattened to create simple leveled wagon roads: Arthur Kill Road, called Fresh Kill Road, opened in 1694; Richmond Hill Road, laid out in 1701; and the road to Stony Brook, developed in 1705. In 1728, Cocklestown was officially chosen as the new county seat and was renamed Richmond Town. A new county courthouse was constructed there that year. In 1729, the old road to Stony Brook was closed, and Richmond Road was opened to Egbertville and New Dorp.
The intersection of Richmond and Amboy roads in New Dorp — the juncture of routes leading to Philadelphia — subsequently developed as an important crossroads served by several inns, including the renowned Rose and Crown and Black Horse Tavern, both owned by members of the Vanderbilt family (both demolished). Albertville developed primarily as a farming community, named for the members of the Egbert family who settled principally along Rockland Avenue. According to Staten Island historians, Covert Egbert decided on Staten Island in 1660, the city Parks Department reports on its website. His descendant, Jacobus, fathered Teunis Egbert, whose son John Egbert was born in 1751. H&A Power Washing Staten Island
George Egbert played an active role in Staten Island public education. A proprietor of Egbert’s Men’s Shop in Tompkinsville, he was appointed in 1901 to Local School Board 53 by then-Borough President George Cromwell.
- Canton’s is located at 1825 N Railroad Ave, Staten Island, NY
- Tommy’s Tavern Tap is located at 2655 Richmond Ave, Staten Island, NY
Check out different neighborhoods like Great Kills