Queens Botanical Garden is a botanical garden situated on 43-50 Main Street in Flushing, Queens, New York City. This 39-acre (16 ha) site is home to the bee, rose wedding, perennial gardens, a greenhouse, an art gallery, and a green building certified by LEED. Visitor & Administration Building. Queens Botanical Garden is located on land owned by the City of New York and is supported by various private and public sources. Queens Botanical Garden Society, Inc operates it.
Queens Botanical Garden was created in 1939 as part of the New York World’s Fair and was initially located in the Flushing Meadows-Corona Park. It was relocated to its current location, vacant land to the east of Flushing Meadows Park, in 1963, in preparation for 1964’s New York World’s Fair. Since it was established, it has been a place of significant growth. Queens Botanical Garden has continued to grow and has programs targeted at the surrounding community. In 2001 it was in 2001 that the Queens Botanical Garden Society published an overall plan for revamp of the garden. The project focused on the garden’s position over that subterranean Kissena Creek. Several improvements were made over the following years, including constructing a new environmentally-friendly parking lot and administration building.
The 1939 New York World’s Fair, held in the adjacent Flushing Meadows-Corona Park, later to become The Queens Botanical Garden located in Queens, NY, eventually was a display of horticulture known as “Gardens on Parade,” run under the direction of Hortus, Incorporated. The gardens originally were situated just to the west of the current site, at the northeast part of the fairgrounds located at 131st Street between Lawrence Street and the Flushing River along the planned Van Wyck Expressway route.
The New York City Department of Sanitation garage on Dahlia Avenue was in the modern Queens Botanical Garden to the west of Main Street. In the 1950s, it was abandoned, and there were plans to remove it. A playground between Elder Avenue and 135th Street in the present Queens Botanical Garden was initially planned to be completed in March of1957. However, on March 11, there was only a comfortable station, and lights were installed. The site also needed significant filling before theft that could be developed. As per the Parks Department, the project was delayed due to poor weather conditions. The site place was utilized for dumping grounds and then was filled with dirt following an appeal by the community. After three months of delay, the playground was finally completed in June 1957. H&A Power Washing
Kissena Creek initially ran under the current locations, including Kissena Park, Kissena Corridor Park, and Queens Botanical Garden, before meeting Flushing Creek at what is today known as the Fountain of Planets / Pool of Industry in Flushing Meadows. The year 1934 saw Kissena Creek was placed within a culvert at its junction ofwithwith Main Street (then called Jagger Avenue) in the course of a project to widen the street. The remaining portion of the stream was dug beneath the ground in the middle of the 20th century as part of Queens Botanical Garden’s construction.
Find other neighborhoods similar to Queens Museum