St. George  

St. George is a neighborhood on the northeastern tip of Staten Island, New York City, along the waterfront where the Kill Van Kull enters Upper New York Bay. It is the most densely developed neighborhood on Staten Island and the location of the administrative center for the borough and the coterminous Richmond County. The St. George Terminal, serving the Staten Island Ferry and the Staten Island Railway, is also located here. St. George is bordered on the south by the neighborhood of Tompkinsville and the west by the neighborhood of New Brighton.

What is now St. George was initially occupied by the Lenape Native Americans, then colonized by the Dutch and the British. The first residential developments arose in the 1830s, and through the late 19th century, the area was a summer resort. Until the construction of the ferry–railroad terminal in 1886, present-day St. George was considered part of New Brighton. The section around the current ferry and railroad terminal was renamed after developer George Law, whom Erastus Wiman promised to “canonize” in exchange for relinquishing the land rights for the terminal. Several government buildings and landmarks were constructed in St. George in the early 20th century, and further developments on the waterfront commenced in the early 21st century.

Originally, Staten Island was inhabited by the Munsee-speaking Lenape Native Americans. The Lenape relocated during different seasons, moving toward the shore to fish during the summers and inland to hunt and grow crops during the fall and winter. The present-day area of New York City was inhabited in 1624 by Dutch settlers as part of the New Netherland. In 1664, the Dutch gave New Netherland to the British, and six years later, the British finalized a purchase agreement with the Lenape.


The Fort Hill area comprises the remains of the streets and homes where the descendants of the Tompkins, Westervelt and Low families lived. The area included the mansions of Daniel D. Tompkins, Anson Phelps-Stokes, and Daniel Low. Another prominent landowner was August Belmont, whose name is enshrined in Belmont Place. Many of the houses remaining today represent the homes and summer homes of the Low-Tompkins extended family and friends. The residential Fort Hill area includes many examples of Victorian, Tudor, Shingle style, and Art Deco architecture and one house modeled after a Spanish castle. On the waterfront, there are two Greek Revival houses on St. George’s waterfront, at 404 and 272 Richmond Terrace. These are the last remnants of a “Temple Row” on the waterfront in the mid-19th century. H&A Power Washing Staten Island

Restaurants Nearby 

  • Cinderellas Mexican Restaurant is located at 108 Victory Blvd, Staten Island, NY
  • Cargo Café is located at 120 Bay St, Staten Island, NY
  • Mixtena Poblana is located at 104 Victory Blvd, Staten Island, NY


Check out different neighborhoods like Todt Hill