West New Brighton  

West New Brighton (also called West Brighton) is a neighborhood of Staten Island, New York City, situated along the central North Shore. The neighborhood borders New Brighton to the east, Port Richmond to the west, the waters of the Kill Van Kull to the north, and the communities of Sunnyside and Castleton Corners to the south.

Originally known as “Factoryville,” Islanders now commonly refer to the area as West Brighton. Some parts of the neighborhood closer to the shoreline are “Livingston” and “Randall Manor.” This area of Staten Island was initially settled by the Dutch in the 1600s, followed by English settlers. During the American Revolution, residents of West Brighton overtly remained loyal to the Crown. Successive waves of immigrants to the US then populated the area by the Irish. The neighborhood consists mainly of Irish, followed by Germans, Italians, African Americans, and Hispanics.

The oldest continually operating cricket club in the US was established in West Brighton in 1872, at the site now operated as Walker Park. The Staten Island Cricket Club still has matches there. This is also the site of the first lawn tennis court in the US, built-in 1873.  The neighborhood was transformed in the years following World War II. Two significant public housing developments were built. The first, the Markham Homes, was initially built to house the families of shipyard & defense workers. The West Brighton Houses followed. Starting in 2004, tenants in The Markham Homes were evicted so that the site might be redeveloped. As of 2007, all tenants had been relocated. While claims had been made that many residents would be able to return to the redeveloped area, few have been able to. H&A Power Washing Staten Island


Notable landmarks include the Staten Island Zoo, Clove Lakes Park, and Silver Lake Park along the neighborhood’s boundaries. Snug Harbor is also located in nearby Livingston. It holds baseball fields, a children’s museum, a Chinese garden, botanical gardens, the Art Lab, and the Staten Island Conservatory of Music. St. Peter’s Cemetery, which is still properly maintained and is the oldest Roman Catholic cemetery on Staten Island (opened in 1848), is also located here, along with several small abandoned cemeteries in which members of some of the island’s founding families are interred.

The former St. Vincent’s Medical Center, now known as Richmond University Medical Center, is located in West Brighton. At the same time, most of the buildings on the RUMC campus date from the late 1960s or, more recently, the Garner Mansion goes back to the 19th Century. It was used for the St. Austin’s Military School, which is now defunct.

Restaurants Nearby

  • Blue is located at 1115 Richmond Terrace, Staten Island, NY
  • Panini Grill is located at 538 Forest Ave, Staten Island, NY
  • King Arms Diner is located at 500 Forest Ave, Staten Island, NY


Check out different neighborhoods like Eltingville